Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Headlines

I don't mind writing headlines, in fact, I really like writing headlines. But I'm not sure how good I am at critiquing them. I was really surprised on how bad I did on the headline critique quiz. I'm not sure if my mind just wasn't there cause of how sleep deprived I have been lately or if I am just not good at finding mistakes. When we went over them today I thought, "How could I miss that?". Well I will put myself to the challenge and I will study really hard for our upcoming final.

Overall, this class has really surprised me. I didn't think I could learn so much about editing. There's so many rules that I wouldn't have even thought existed. Although I don't feel that I would want to ever work as an editor, this class has really made me admire and respect their work. Journalism would not be what it is without them.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. I didn't realize there were so many decisions an editor had to make and there are so many arguments and aspects that go with one decision that it's difficult to make the "right" one. But, it's nice to know that there's discussion among journalists and editors about such issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal downfall was always the headline count. Finding the right balance between bigger, descriptive words and smaller, vaguer words is really difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The headline quiz was really tricky. Although I did pretty well on it, I found myself a bit unsure as to why my answers were necessarily right. I think a lot of editing is sort of an intuitive thing, and if you can justify your answers well enough, you'll always be right.

    ReplyDelete