Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My first blog/blog entry

I thought I mastered grammar in grade school, I thought I mastered it through college, through rhetoric classes and reporting classes, but the truth is that I have so much more to learn. I might have placed a wrong comma on my first sentence or perhaps I could have made my point in fewer words. This is exactly how my News Editing class has me feeling. I feel that every sentence I write is going to be criticized and every grammatical error will be noticed. I am somewhat nervous because I feel that the pressure of having to write this is causing me and will continue to cause me to write with more errors then usual. Through these first few weeks I have realized that I suck at grammar and that I have instead forgotten all the rules that made me feel that I mastered it in the first place. 

Although I have never had a blog and I have never really thought about making one I am looking forward to this. I like writing, I mean, I LOVE writing.

Quinn meets Obama, Ill. senators in D.C.

This article was on the front page of the Daily Illini today. We discussed it in class and Professor Follis pointed out an error with this headline. "Ill." should be spelled out. A state should only be abbreviated when it follows the name of a city. 

I probably would not have noticed this mistake before. I am happy that JOUR 420 is having us pay closer attention to these kinds of errors. Now I find myself looking for mistakes as I am reading the news. This class will definitely make me a better journalist and perhaps even help me become a master at grammar. 




No comments:

Post a Comment