Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Parts of Speech Handout

Today in our new editing class I learned that "This" could be used as an adjective. When I first got the "Parts of Speech" handout, I thought to myself, this will definitely be a breeze. The sentence was, "This plan will never work." Since "This" is modifying the plan it's an adjective. But it also serves as an pronoun. I was very surprised because I have never thought that "this" could ever be used as an adjective.

I was also very confused with, "The captain ordered John and me to peel 2,000 parsnips." As explained by Professor Follis, peel is an infinitive serving as a noun.

The point of this blog was to express how surprised I am. I could have never imagined that writing had SO MANY rules and I never though it would be this complicated.


1 comment:

  1. The same thing happens to me-- I think I've got a great understanding of a topic.... and then we do a worksheet on it in class.

    ReplyDelete