Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Diversity

This week in lecture we discussed diversity in reporting, more specifically how it becomes part of everyday, regular reporting. One specific thing that sparked my interest was when we were talking about the hiring process. I personally would not want to be chosen for a position simply because the company is trying to diversify their employees. In fact, it would be offensive. I believe diversity is important but I also believe that one's qualifications goes way beyond being a person of color. We all work really hard to add what we can to our resume and I believe those that work harder should be given the opportunity to fill a position they would do great in. 

By the way, I didn't notice the 3rd page to the story on our exam until 5 minutes before we had to turn it in. What a bummer! =(

3 comments:

  1. oh no! That can be such a scary feeling (discovering part of a test later). I definitely missed a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear what you are saying about not wanted to be hired just for the sake of diversity. But I temper that by remembering that for years people were *not* hired, just for the sake of prejudice. So, if I, a talented woman, am hired in part because the place needs more women, then maybe that is the moment of history I need to embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I totally agree with you... I would be really upset if I found out I was chosen over a more qualified candidate because a company needed to fulfill a quota of women. I want to *earn* my job. I also want a job I'm actually prepared to do.

    ReplyDelete