Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Numbers

1+1=2, but is it correct to say that the tempereature doubled from 1 degree to 2 degrees? No, especially not in a news story. 

It seems that numbers have been following me everywhere for that last few weeks. I'm currently working on a graphics chart for one of my Journalism class. I have been shown so many examples of graphs and numbers that have used in published news stories that are not accurate and in some instances, it being ridiculously apparent. 

I am actually really liking this week in News Editing. I have never really paid close attention to numbers in stories, and now I know to look and double check stories with numbers. 

I was trying to look for an article which used numbers in foul ways. Unfortunately I could not come across any. 

Well that's it for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment